Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Why the cult like devotion to Super 8?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    After reading several post recently I am wondering why Super 8 has such a strong devoted following?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Burn the disbeliever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you for your militant stance.

    This posting is not a pejorative. I have not seen people who shoot in 16 mm be this devoted to their format.

    Super 8 truly seems to be a phenomenon

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    The Harley-Davidson principle: "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    Oh, well. I'll give it a shot.

    <ul type="square">[*]It is film.[*]It's low cost. For film that is. But who wants DV?[*]It is film!!! It really, really is.[*]The nostalgia factor.[*]It really, really, really, really is FILM!!![/list]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Konton's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2000
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    Do I really have a cult like devotion to Super 8mm? I mean I have only spent about five digits on equipment and made a website dedicated to it. I mean it's Super 8mm. Who wouldn't?

  7. #7
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    It's an inexpensive stock (well, compared to larger formats) that allows a novice to actually work with film and enjoy the advantages film has over video--higher resolution, superior contrast, and just better overall look (if done correctly--S8 can look even more horrible than video if you don't put any effort into it.)

    Tom

  8. #8
    TA152
    Guest TA152's Avatar

    Post

    I have to give you my very personal opinion on this.

    I have shot Super8 for over 20 years but also video from 1987 V8 and Hi8 since the mid 90s.

    For homemovies I shot a lot of films of my first child, now 18. My youngest one I also shot on video for the past 2-3 years and last autumn I evaluated a switch to MiniDV cam.

    However, for some reason I started to sort all my old S8 films, projected them and I got so astonished by the difference in image quality and I mean QUALITY that I felt it like a crime to continue to shoot my youngest child on video.

    Some later I had the opportunity to compare a 3 Chip DV cam footage projected alongside with S8 projection and the S8 was to me, SUPERIOR and for most of the other people watching there too.

    Simple maths: How much film can I buy for a new DV cam? Probably enough for the rest of my life, and a MD player for sound recording and a soundstriping machine too.

    The only drawback is the lack of soundstriped film but silent will do anyway.

    To me the total imagery, the impression, the texture and the ++++++ and on gives a totally different feel of space and dimention when I watch S8 projected compared to watching video.

    And besides, working with film is a very nice hobby and to me watching the projected rich excellent colour big size image is magic.

    A big vaste of money for sLOW progress and no enduring technology DV is to me.

    Maybe I am getting old but no more video for me.

    Even though I prefer the S8 projected there are excellent transfer to video services like Roger/Moviestuff?s that takes good care of the S8 quality even when played back on TV.

    R

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 07, 2002 06:18 PM: Message edited by: S8 Booster ]</font>

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner MikeBrantley's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2000
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That last one is the best testimonial I've seen in a long time. Keep the faith!

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I paid about 800.00 for my Bell and Howell back in 1981, and am delighted I can again thank my lucky stars I didnt take it to the thrift store like my wife had wanted me to do!!! After i found out super 8 was still going, I am again shooting, and so it's kind of a nostalgic thing for me, also. Plus, I love the saturated, rich colors, the high detail, and the look of film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •